Tuesday, 14 December 2010

INTRODUCING: MARQUES TOLIVER

So last night I popped down to the Rockfeedback Xmas shin dig at the Buffalo Bar In London. Anyway, I was a little late, but not too late to miss a performance from this guy called Marques Toliver. Marques has been dubbed "new school classical soul" by the Guardian, he apparently is fom New York and learnt his craft busking on the streets. Whether this is true or not I don't know, what I do know is that he has this fantastic voice which seems to effortlessly hold notes whilst conveying great passion. He accompanies his voice with minimal instrumentation, be it violin, guitar or piano.

What really struck me about Toliver was how he almost immediately transported me into this other world where I was suddenly in John Cameron Mitchell's "Shortbus" and a fully fledged member of the NYC boho art scene. For my money any artist capable of this has got something going on... I fully expect to hear much more from Marques in the future. I've attached his recent performance on Jools Holland so you can decide for yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment