This has been a bugbear of mine for well over a year now, pretty much ever since everyone went, well gaga, over the Lady G herself. I've never been a particular fan of Lady Gaga, her poppy numbers seemed to bring nothing new to the table, standard mainstream keyboards and beats plus big chorus... so far, so what's new?! However, as a marketing entity I've always been impressed BY Lady Gaga, almost to the point of chin stroking admiration. Her emphasis on the visual, her clever dissemination of rumour, and her ability to take the visual underground, normally the realm for the pretentious and high brow into the mainstream are relatively unique qualities.
Lady Gaga- Bad Romance
Matthew Barney- the Cremaster Cycle
The reason I post this now is that it appears that image and artistic videos are becoming an increasingly important part of the package within music in popular culture. I mean, it would be naive to argue otherwise, but this is becoming increasingly so... Recent case and points to my mind are Kanye West (at least he has the vision adn tunes to back up his vision) and ditto to Janelle Monae's "Tightrope", a super talented artist whose song's video so obviously apes the mother of avant-garde filmatic art, Maya Deren. Anyway, here's some clips tell me if you think I'm seeing things and it's just coincidence, however, I would add I think in general the use of artistic imagery from the artworld is more in homage in these cases, and really I wish perhaps the alternative community could make more use of such influence.
Kanye West- Runaway
Maya Deren- Meshes of the Afternoon
Janelle Monae- Tightrope
Cracked Actor: Robbie Williams’ Rudebox at 20
5 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment