
So I was flicking through the latest copy of Rock A Rolla magazine the other day and noticed a new dvd release documenting the story of 60s band the Monks. The Monks have for a long while been one of my favourite groups from the 60s so I thought I'd give them a heads up!
The Monks were five American GIs who were based in Germany, but these guys weren't your everyday soldyaaarrr boyz. Nope, uncharacteristically for those of the armed forces they were quite political and left of the centre, added to this the Monks went for the most bad ass image possible. They decked themselves out in dark robes and decided to shave the tops of their heads. Occasionally nooses were worn as neck ties, apparently metaphorical of the nooses we all wear in humanity. Yoiks!
The Monks are credited as a huge influence on krautrock, metal and punk... it's always ambiguos how much of an influence anything is upon anything... would krautrock have happened anyway... you could say the same thing if Stockhausen hadn't been around so who knows? What I do know is they had some freakin good tunes that had bollox by the bucket load... check out the vids!
No comments:
Post a Comment